Is it just us, or has the struggle to come up with quick and easy meal ideas basically become a national pastime? By the time you get home from work, take the dog out and help the kids with homework, you’ve barely got an hour until bedtime routines start. Cue the dinnertime panic! This is where fast, foolproof recipes are a lifesaver. Forget about fail-safe frozen pizzas and chicken fingers; in the amount of time it takes to preheat the oven you could be halfway to devouring this creamy and delicious (and vegan, if that’s your thing) soup!
CORN AND COCONUT SOUP
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ½ cups frozen corn, thawed and portioned
- 4 cups stock of your choice
- 1 400-mL can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- lime wedges, for garnish
- cilantro, for garnish
- coconut flakes, for garnish
WHAT YOU DO
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Sauté onions until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté until just fragrant.
- Add chopped carrots and 2 cups of the thawed corn and stir.
- Pour in stock. Bring to boil and cook until carrots are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add coconut milk and 1 tbsp of freshly grated ginger.
- Remove from heat and blend with immersion blender.
- Add remaining ½ cup of corn and stir.
- Serve and garnish with more corn, cilantro and lime juice.
- Admire your culinary skills, and enjoy!
Recipe by Lianne Phillipson-Webb, adapted by The Loop