We all know that breakfast food is the best food. Just ask Leslie Knope. And when you start combining breakfast foods, your meal transcends from regular, old body-fuel into superhuman deliciousness. Keeping that in mind, how about combining the king of breakfast foods (waffles) and one of the best cereals from your childhood: Fruit Loops? It may sound strange, but without a little risk we never would have found some of the best food combos (we’re looking at you, French fries with ice cream). Plus, just look at how pretty these waffles are! They look like confetti cake! Absolutely delicious, plus totally worth making even for the Insta pic alone.
FRUIT LOOP WAFFLES
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE WAFFLES
- 2 cups Fruit Loops cereal, crushed, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE GLAZE
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
WHAT YOU DO
- Preheat oven to 200F and place a baking sheet inside (you will use this to keep waffles warm until all batter is cooked).
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer instructions and lightly grease with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk and butter, then gently add dry ingredients until just combined (do not overmix!). Fold in cereal crumbs.
- Pour 1 cup batter on griddle, close, and cook until golden brown (around 4 to 5 minutes).
- When waffle is done, place on cookie sheet in oven to keep warm. Continue cooking remaining batter.
- For the glaze, whisk together milk, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add more milk if too thick or more powdered sugar if too thin.
- Serve waffles warm with glaze (or syrup) and more Fruit Loops. Enjoy!