Nothing beats the butter-laden bags of popcorn you get when at the movies. But for those nights when you’re watching a flick from the comfort of home, don’t even think about popping the pre-bagged variety. Here’s how to make your very own microwave popcorn that’s sure to satisfy your kernel craving (with a fraction of the calories) in just two minutes flat.
What you need
- brown paper bags
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 tsp salt (kosher, sea or flaked)
- 1 tsp olive oil (prefer coconut or canola? Those will work, too)
- paper towel
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional, for kettle corn)
What you do
- Coat the kernels with the oil, making sure they’re thoroughly covered.
- Pour kernels into the paper bag, adding your desired seasonings (salt and/or sugar).
- Fold the top of the bag over several times to ensure a tight seal.
- Place the bag on top of the paper towel in the microwave, then heat between two and two-and-a-half minutes (you’ll know it’s ready when there are two or three seconds between pops).
- Give the bag a shake to mix up the seasonings once more, then serve and enjoy!