Despite being ultra-delicious, churros aren’t something that we often think of to make at home. Maybe it’s the daunting piping action that’s typically required, or perhaps the giant pot of oil that’s needed to deep-fry that sends us running in the opposite direction. Whatever the reason, churros always felt like just a little too much work. Not anymore though! Our churro-related prayers have been answered with this brilliant (and so much easier) waffle iron adaptation. And just so we’re totally clear: Yes, you should absolutely eat them for breakfast (and lunch, and dinner)!
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1-2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
WHAT YOU DO
- Preheat your waffle iron and grease lightly.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, mix together milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until batter is smooth.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of batter for each quarter section of your waffle iron.
- Close waffle iron and cook until golden (approximately 5-10 minutes).
- Mix together cinnamon and sugar in shallow bowl or plate.
- Coat waffles with melted butter.
- Dip butter-coated waffles in cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 20-second intervals until chocolate is melted, and stirring in between.