When you combine the delicate spice of jalapeño poppers with a chicken dinner, you can feast upon a meal that leaves you feeling completely satisfied. On its own, jalapeño poppers can be a bit too hot for you–even with the cream cheese. But the spice will only enhance the flavour of your meal when mixed with your chicken. And although the mixture of jalapeño, chicken and cream cheese may seem daunting at first, we can promise that the flavours blend well together. Do you dare to try it?
JALAPENO POPPER CHICKEN
What you need
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 jalapeños, minced with ribs and seeds removed
- 1 large egg
- 1 (8 oz.) pack of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese blend, grated
- 3/4 cup panko or seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- Kosher salt and ground pepper, to taste
What you do
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grease baking dish lightly with nonstick spray.
- In medium pan on medium heat, melt butter and sauté breadcrumbs for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown (stir constantly to avoid burning).
- Take off element and put breadcrumbs in shallow bowl. Whisk in taco seasoning. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, add in cream cheese, Mexican cheese blend and jalapeño.
- Cut chicken breasts horizontally until nearly butterflied and there’s a pocket in the centre.
- Scoop 1/4 cup cream cheese and jalapeño mixture into each chicken breast pocket.
- Season each side of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Beat egg in separate bowl and dip stuffed chicken breast into beaten egg and then into breadcrumbs (shaking off excess as you go). Press breadcrumbs in firmly so they stick to chicken.
- Put chicken on greased baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
- Bite into savoury chicken and relish that nice jolt of spice.