Chicken noodle soup is obviously perfect for curing colds and warming you up on a cold day, but we found a way to enjoy it without worrying about spilling it down the front of your shirt. Okay, well, at least not as easily — no promises here.
The classic comfort food has been transformed into the perfect casserole, much in thanks to the addition of cheese. So much cheese. Your whole family is going to love it!
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 pound egg noodles
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 (14 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (16 oz.) bag frozen peas and carrots
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
WHAT YOU DO
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook egg noodles according to packaging directions, or until al dente.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine soups and heavy cream and stir together to mix.
- Add frozen vegetables, cheddar cheese, cubed chicken and egg noodles, and season with garlic salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a large casserole dish and lightly tap it against the counter to remove air bubbles and smooth it out.
- In a separate bowl, toss together breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and melted butter. Sprinkle evenly over the top of casserole.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and sauce is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool five minutes. Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with more cheese.
Recipe adapted from The Taylor House