Consider this recipe to be the grown-up version of chicken-noodle soup, if you will. The usual pasta has been replaced by ultra nutritious quinoa, and added veggies don’t just up the health-factor — an array of seasonings mean it’s packed full of flavour. Oh, and the lemon juice is a total game changer. It’s as effective on your colds as the classic version, but your taste buds won’t know what hit them.
LEMON CHICKEN QUINOA SOUP
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 cups of cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 2 cups of chopped carrot
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 6 cups of low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of flour or cornstarch
- 1/2 cup of quinoa, uncooked
- 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons of lemon zest, plus fresh lemon, sliced, garnish
- 1 teaspoon of tarragon
- 1 teaspoon of chives
- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
WHAT YOU DO
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat and sauté carrot, celery and onion for 8-10 minutes, or until softened.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Pour in chicken stock.
- Add bay leaves and tarragon, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cornstarch and milk until you’ve formed a smooth slurry. Pour slurry into soup and stir until incorporated completely.
- Bring mixture to a boil and pour in quinoa.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender.
- Stir in chicken, lemon juice and zest, and chives, then cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Ladle into serving bowls and serve hot, topped with fresh lemon slices.
Recipe adapted from Lauren’s Latest