If you want to wow your friends and family at your next brunch gathering, then this is the recipe for you. It takes almost every breakfast staple and puts it into one drool-worthy dish. Bagels? Check. Cream cheese? Check. Eggs? Check. OK, we could go on, but we want to leave a few surprises for you. Dive in to this savoury masterpiece as soon as you can. Maple syrup is optional, but we’re Canadians, so, mandatory.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 6 everything bagels
- 8 eggs
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, cubed
- 8 oz. pork sausage, cooked and drained of fat
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
WHAT YOU DO
- Preheat oven to 450º F
- Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Cut bagels into small cubes and spread out along the bottom of baking dish.
- Layer cooked sausage on top.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, heavy cream and chives, then season with salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over the baking dish
- Place cream cheese pieces evenly across the dish.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly on top, then cover with foil. Optional: refrigerate casserole for 2-8 hours, or overnight.
- Bake casserole, covered, for 40 minutes, then bake uncovered for another 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve hot, (and may we suggest a side of homefries?) and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Cookie Rookie