Leslie Knope put it best when she said that waffles are one of the the three most important things in life. Waffles really are one of the greatest foods devised by man and it seems that improving on this perfect food may be impossible. Well, stop doubting and grab your potato masher because it’s time to be inspired! This recipe kicks your plain waffles up a notch by adding another one of man’s greatest achievements: mashed potatoes.
CHEESY MASHED POTATO WAFFLES
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (plus more, as needed)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Sour cream, garnish
WHAT YOU DO
- Preheat waffle iron and liberally grease it with non-stick spray. Preheat oven to 200º F if keeping waffles warm after cooking.
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed potatoes, buttermilk, eggs and vegetable oil until combined, then fold in cheddar cheese and chives.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Gradually mix flour mixture into potato mixture until just combined. Potatoes should stick together; if mixture is too dry, add another egg; if it’s too wet, add more flour (1 tablespoon at a time) until mixture holds together.
- Using a large spoon, scoop 1/2 cup potato mixture into greased waffle iron, smoothing it into an even layer before closing the lid.
- Close lid and bake until waffles are golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from waffle iron and place in preheated oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- Serve waffles with chives and sour cream – enjoy!