Butter itself is a cooking staple that everyone uses. We put it in our veggies, meat, on our bread, and even in our pans to cook other foods. But why not combine butter with other rich flavours?
The crispiness and heaviness of bacon complements the creaminess of butter oh so well while an onion’s complex kick takes things up a notch. These elements all combine to form a super, compound butter unlike anything you’ve ever tasted. So be generous and lather that butter on.
BACON ONION BUTTER
What you need
- 1 cup or 2 sticks butter, softened
- ⅓ cup onion, finely diced
- 10 strips bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
What you do
- Over medium heat, sauté bacon in medium-sized skillet until almost cooked.
- Add onion and continue to sauté until bacon is crispy and onion is soft. Drain excess grease and set aside
- In a mixing bowl, add butter, onion and bacon mixture, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Cream together with hand mixer or two forks until mixed.
- Move butter to larger piece of plastic wrap and form into long log.
- Move plastic wrap tightly around butter and twist ends to seal. Chill in fridge or freezer for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Slice butter up on steak or eat it plain on some bread.
Recipe adapted from 12 Tomatoes