Fact: most of North America is constantly craving pizza. It’s true, you don’t need to Google it. Unfortunately, pizza’s not really the most nutritious thing to be eating 24/7 (or so we’re told), plus, all those delivery charges can really add up. Too often it seems we have to choose between a great tasting option (i.e. pizza) and the smarter, more boring one. With this recipe, you don’t have to make that choice. Take your boring, old chicken and turn it into pizza. Satisfy that craving with more protein and fewer carbs, while giving that chicken an interesting twist.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (25 oz) jar marinara sauce
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 (3.5 oz) package pepperoni slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley or basil, chopped
WHAT YOU DO
- Slice both chicken breasts through the middle to create 4 thin cutlets, and liberally season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once heated, add cutlets, and brown for 2 to 3 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until just cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Pour marinara sauce into skillet and stir to pick up any brown bits from the chicken. Once marinara has heated through, add chicken back to pan.
- Top each piece of chicken with a layer of pepperoni and a slice of mozzarella.
- Cover the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Spoon marinara over cutlets and top with parsley or basil.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!