Fried rice is one of the quickest and most versatile meals on the planet. Anyone who is old enough to use the stove can cook up a delicious batch of fried rice. The only thing better than this simple masterpiece? Switch out the traditional rice for everybody’s favourite health craze: quinoa! This recipe gives you a healthy twist on this classic staple.
QUINOA FRIED RICE
WHAT YOU NEED
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 a medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ponzu sauce, found in the Japanese aisle of stores
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon sriracha or chili sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted if desired
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Veggie oil
WHAT YOU DO
- Pre-heat a wok over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion along with 1 tablespoon of veggie oil, 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt, and a couple cracks of pepper. Cook for 30 seconds stirring often.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 30 seconds stirring often.
- Add the beaten eggs and cook for 10 seconds until they resemble very soft scrambled eggs.
- Add the cooked quinoa and mix well.
- Add the soy sauce and next 5 ingredients and mix well. Cook for a couple minutes so the quinoa really soaks up the flavor, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Take wok off the heat and add the green onions and sesame seeds.
- Garnish with some sesame seeds and green onions and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Flavcity