Dirt pie is one of those age-old, right-of-passage desserts for any kid. You really can’t go wrong with Oreos, chocolate pudding and gummy worms. It’s every kid’s dream combo. This recipe improves upon that traditional yummyness by transforming the messy pie into a beautiful garden. And it’s so easy to make, you can get the kiddies of all ages involved. Plus, bonus parenting points for sneaking fruit into their dessert and making it fun.
DIRT PIE GARDEN
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 (15 oz.) package Oreos
- 1 (3.9 oz.) package instant chocolate pudding
- 2 cups cold whole milk
- 1 (8 oz.) package cool whip or frozen whipped topping
- 1-2 pints strawberries, rinsed
- Pebble candy, optional
- Gummy worms, optional
- Fresh mint, optional
WHAT YOU DO
- Place Oreo cookies in a large, resealable plastic bag and zip closed. Using a rolling pin or heavy object, crush the cookies until they resemble coarse pebbles. (No need to remove cream filling).
- Pour dry chocolate pudding mix into a large bowl and whisk in cold milk. Stir for 2-3 minutes, or until powder has completely dissolved. Let sit 5 minutes to thicken, then fold in cool whip until combined.
- Pour 1/3 crushed Oreos into pudding mixture and stir together, then fold in gummy worms.
- Transfer mixture to a large glass baking dish and top with remaining cookie crumbs. Use your hands to gently spread crumbs into an even layer.
- Take your strawberries and gently push them down in rows in the Oreo topping. If using pebble candy, add them evenly amongst the rows of strawberries.
- Garnish with fresh mint and refrigerate until ready to serve.