Kick your lemon square game up a notch by forgetting the lemon altogether and replacing it with lime and tequila. Margarita bars are the boozy dessert you’re going to want to make all summer. The taste of the cocktail with the added bonus of a graham cracker crust makes for the perfect patio bite. Plus, with minimal prep, you’ll spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying that yard. Margarita bars are the summer cocktail dessert you’ve been waiting for.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 10 crackers)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup lime juice (6 limes)
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice (2, if omitting tequila)
- 1-2 tablespoons tequila
- Powdered sugar, garnish
- Sea salt, garnish, optional
WHAT YOU DO
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line a 9×9-inch baking dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Lightly grease with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and graham cracker crumbs, then stir in melted butter and mix until graham crackers have the consistency of damp sand.
- Press crumb mixture into the bottom of greased baking dish, making sure to evenly spread it out into the corners and edges of dish.
- Place in oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat together eggs and sugar until lightened in color, then mix in lime juice, orange juice, tequila, and lime zest.
- Gradually mix in flour, stirring until no lumps remain.
- Pour filling over hot crust, then return to oven for 22-25 minutes, or until small bubbles appear on the surface of filling and it is no longer translucent.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Refrigerate 1-2 hours, or until chilled, then remove bars from baking dish, dust with powdered sugar and sea salt, and cut into squares.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!