Whether you're looking for luck or fortune in the Year of the Dog, look no further than some delicious food.
Chef Craig Wong stopped by the Your Morning kitchen with two symbolic recipes.
Chinese New Year Salad
Serves 4 - 8 people
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1/2 medium Jicama, peeled
- 1 small Daikon, peeled
- 3 carrots, peeled and turning sliced
- 3 piece green onions, sliced
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 medium Asian pear
- 1 medium Granny smith apple
Arrange crispy chips onto the salad mound, building as much height as possible, sprinkle nuts and pickles around the platter
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- 1/4 bunch medium red cabbage, sliced finely
Pour the dressing while throwing the salad high in the air, the higher you toss, the more luck you'll have!
- 3 pickles
- 1 cup pickled ginger
- ½ cup Peanuts (optional), toasted & ground
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
Lotus chips sliced finely (slice all chips thinly on mandoline, drain very well and dust with:
- Rice flour
- Taro, sliced finely (heat a large stockpot to 300F and ensure it is filled to a maximum of 1/3 the height of the pot)
- Shallots, sliced finely (Remove excess rice flour & fry until golden brown, and the bubbling of oil slows down)
- Wonton skins cut in squares
- Fried sweet potatoes turning slicer
- Rice Flour for coating chips
- Canola Oil for frying
- Calamansi or Key Lime wedges
- Sashimi (sushi grade salmon, hamachi, tuna, etc.)
Dressing - Whisk all dressing ingredients together
- 3 tbsp Yuzu juice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp apricot preserves
- 1 cup grapeseed Oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
Jamaican Peppa Shrimp and Pineapple Skewers
Yields 6 skewers
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 12 pieces large tiger shrimp (approx. 50g each)
- 1 tbsp ginger, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 whole scotch bonnet
- 2 sprig thyme, picked and chopped
- 2 tbsp spicy paprika
- 1/3 tsp All spice
- 1/3 tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp Rum (preferably amber)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice
- 1 quarter pineapple
- 1 medium zucchini
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- Salt to taste
WHAT YOU DO:
- Soak skewers for 30 minutes in cold water
- Peel and devein the shrimp.
- Sweat the garlic and ginger for two minutes over low heat, then add the scotch bonnet, thyme, paprika, all spice, and cayenne, and toast until aromatic.
- Deglaze with rum, add ketchup, and cook out for 5 minutes until it thickens slightly, then thin with pineapple juice.
- Cool the marinade down, and then marinate the peeled shrimp for 2-3 hours.
- Peel the pineapple, core it, and cut into ½ inch thick pieces.
- Cut zucchini into ½ inch thick rounds.
- Grill the pineapple and zucchini.
- Skewer two shrimp, a piece of pineapple, a cherry tomato, and a piece of zucchini onto each skewer.
- Brush with oil and season with salt.
- Grill on medium high heat on BBQ for 3 minutes on each side.