This is an official Loop warning: You might have a bit of an addiction to this side dish, which is why we’ve lovingly nicknamed them “crack” potatoes. Baby potatoes are generously smothered with a luxuriously creamy aioli, then roasted in the oven. The result: A side dish so delicious, you won’t be able to stop eating them. In fact, we’re pretty sure you’ll be reaching for seconds, that is, if there are any left to have.
This recipe will make 4-6 portions and can also be made with larger potatoes, such as Russets or Yukon Gold, cut into small cubes or wedges.
What you need
- 1.5 lbs new potatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 cups arugula or salad greens to serve (optonal)
- lemon wedges to serve (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 425ºF.
- Cut potatoes into halves or quarters to make them all roughly the same size, leaving very small ones whole.
- Place the potatoes on to a parchment-lined baked sheet, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Add onions over top and mix together.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes, until tender and browned.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with smoked paprika, if using. Let the potatoes cool down on the baking sheet while making the aioli.
- In a large bowl, mix together the garlic, lemon juice, mayonnaise and yogurt.
- Once cool, mix in the potatoes and chopped parsley.
- Serve on top of bed of arugula or salad greens, decorated with lemon wedges.
Recipe developed by Michael Elliot.