Roasted Eggplant Parmesan
Serves 3 to 4
WHAT YOU NEED?:
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups tomato sauce, homemade or store-bought
- Non-stick cooking spray, preferably the olive oil variety
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½–¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices of fresh mozzarella (about the same diameter as the eggplant slices)
- Fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese, optional
WHAT YOU DO:
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil and another with a layer of paper towel.
- Trim off the top and bottom of the eggplant and slice into 1cm thick disks. Place the slices in a single layer on the paper towel lined cookie sheet and evenly sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. This will draw out some of the moisture from the eggplant and give it a super lovely texture.
- Allow the salted eggplant to sit for about 20 minutes while you gently heat the tomato sauce on low and preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Pat the eggplant dry with another piece of paper towel and spray the foil lined cookie sheet with a good coating of the non-stick cooking spray. Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the sheet and spritz with another good coating of the non-stick cooking spray. Season with a bit of salt and pepper and pop the eggplant into your preheated oven for 20 minutes, flipping the slices halfway through.
- Remove the eggplant from your oven and top each with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the tomato sauce and evenly sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. At this point, the eggplant slices should look almost like little pizzas. Lay a piece of mozzarella on top of four of the eggplant slices and pop the whole thing back into the oven and cook until the cheese is perfectly melted and maybe a bit golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. If you’re in a rush or just want some crispy bits of cheese, throw on the broiler but be careful of burning the cheese.
- To serve, dollop some sauce down onto your plates and divide the Parmesan-topped roasted eggplant slices between the plates, making sure to finish each stack with a cheesy mozzarella layer.
- Before serving, toss some fresh basil on there as well as some freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if using.