Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta & Apricots
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 100 g sweet pancetta, diced
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stems fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, sliced
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
WHAT YOU DO:
- To a cold pan add oil and pancetta. Set heat to low until fat starts to render from pancetta. Then, increase heat to medium-low and cook until golden and crisp, approximately 10-15 minutes. Remove to plate and drain oil from pan, leaving behind about 2 tablespoons.
- Meanwhile, prepare Brussels sprouts by removing any tarnished outer leaves. Then halve and finely slice them.
- To the pan set over medium-low heat, add the shallots, garlic, and thyme stems. Cook until softened, about 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add Brussels sprouts. Cook, stirring often about 5 or 6 minutes until soft.
- Add apricots and vinegar. Cook another 2 minutes. Add crispy pancetta, stir, and taste. Season with salt and pepper to taste, remove thyme stems, and serve.