Scotch Egg Platter
Makes 6 eggs
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 8 eggs
- 1 recipe kibbeh paste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp Harissa infused olive oil
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Extra virgin olive oil for frying
WHAT YOU DO:
- Place 6 eggs in a saucepan of water and bring to a boil. Boil for 3–4 minutes if you like your eggs just set, 5–6 minutes if you like them well done. Rinse them in cold water and allow to cool completely in a bowl of cold water. Peel carefully and set aside. Separate the kibbeh paste into six evenly sized pieces. Working with one piece at a time, roll each piece into a square on a lightly floured surface. Place an egg in the middle of the square and gather up the sides, encasing the egg fully in the kibbeh. Seal the kibbeh, doing your best to ensure there aren’t any seams, set aside on a baking sheet (no need to line or grease it) and repeat with the remaining kibbeh and eggs.
- Prepare a dredging station with three shallow bowls: one for the flour, one for the remaining 2 eggs, beaten with the 2 Tbsp olive oil, and one for the breadcrumbs. Heat 2–3 inches of extra virgin olive oil in a heavybottomed saucepan to 325°F. Roll one egg in the flour, coating it well and then dusting off any excess; dip it in the egg mixture, coating it well, and then dip it in the breadcrumbs, coating it well and then dusting off any excess. Repeat these steps with the remaining eggs.
- When the oil is at temperature, fry the eggs in batches, 2–3 at a time, so you don’t overcrowd the pan or allow the temperature of the oil to drop. Give the oil a minute or two to return to temperature between batches. Fry for 3–4 minutes, until golden brown, turning as needed to ensure they are evenly browned and cooked. Remove from the oil and allow to sit on a paper towel-covered wire rack to drain. Serve warm or chilled. These eggs are perfect with tahini garlic yogurt sauce, pickled turnip, dill pickles, and, to break with Syrian tradition, a lovely piece of English cheddar cheese. You can store these in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.