Slow cooker ragù
With a combination of pork and beef, this dish serves up intense flavour.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 8 hours, 10 minutes
Save 5 minutes by prepping the veggies in advance.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 lb (450 g) ground beef
- 1 lb (450 g) ground pork
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup (250 ml) diced carrots
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) diced celery
- 1 cup (250 ml) red wine
- 2 cans (28 oz each) San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried or chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
WHAT YOU DO:
- Place the ground beef and pork in your slow cooker, breaking the meat into small chunks with the back of a wooden spoon. Add the oil, garlic, onions, carrots, celery, red wine, tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste, bay leaves, basil, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, until the meat is tender.
- Discard the bay leaves. Serve with a short pasta that has lots of nooks and crannies for the sauce to tuck into, or long noodles to slurp and swirl.