It’s only been a few months since the last Academy Awards (oh, the drama!) but the movie industry is already looking forward to the next one, especially the ABC execs who have to plan it. ABC Entertainment head Karey Burke told reporters at ABC’s Upfronts Monday that they really liked how the awards turned out last year and probably won’t enlist a host again in 2020.
In case you need a refresher: Kevin Hart was tapped to host in 2019 until some past homophobic tweets and jokes came to light. The Academy said he could keep the gig as long as he issued an apology but the comedian refused to apologize, claiming he had already done so. In the end, the show went hostless and though it could have gone terribly, it was actually quite good. ABC apparently wants to ride that wave.
“I believe we will not mess with that format to the best of our ability,” Burke explained. She added that the Academy was “unbelievably happy with the results [this year]. Hopefully we will have that same kind of success when we approach [the next one].”
Interestingly, despite her conviction regarding the success of the 2019 format, the exec also wouldn’t rule out the possibility of Jimmy Kimmel hosting in the future. Since the Live! host just extended his deal with the studio, industry-watchers are speculating he’s a likely candidate should the awards require a host again.
Somebody should tell him that. Speaking outside ABC’s Upfronts presentation, Kimmel said he wouldn’t host again, adding, “it’s like a driverless car at this point.”
— Eyewitness News (@ABC7NY) May 15, 2019
No host is fine by us. Honestly, we wouldn’t mind if every awards show kicked off with Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph riffing off each other for seven minutes, then getting right into the awards.