SPICED CHOCOLATE MOLTEN CAKE
Consider this molten chocolate cake for formal dinners when you want to present a restaurant-style dessert. It’s easy to prep, has great presentation, and is just enough to elegantly cap off a meal.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) butter, plus extra for greasing
- 3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp icing sugar
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground ginger
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Whipped cream or your favorite ice cream, to serve (optional)
WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease and flour 4 (8-oz) ramekins and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter and chocolate and heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine eggs, egg yolks, and icing sugar and whisk until mixture is pale and thick. Continuing to whisk, slowly pour in chocolate mixture and whisk for 1–2 minutes, until incorporated and mixed through.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and mix well. Using a spatula, fold dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture. Divide batter among the prepared ramekins and set on a baking sheet. Bake for 8–10 minutes, until set.
- Invert the ramekin onto serving plates and serve immediately with whipped cream or your favorite ice cream, if using.
Variation 1: Holiday Peppermint Chocolate Cakes
Add 2 Tbsp crushed peppermint candies or candy cane to the batter. Dust the baked molten cakes with icing sugar or cocoa powder and serve with fresh mixed berries.
Variation 2: Chocolate Hazelnut Molten Cake
Add 2 Tbsp chocolate liqueur with eggs and add 1 Tbsp ground hazelnuts with dry ingredients.