For the cake
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. ground clove
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Sunkist® orange zest*
- 1¼ cup freshly squeezed Sunkist® orange juice
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Sunkist® glazed oranges
- 4 Sunkist navel oranges
- 2 tbsp. Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Greek yogurt whip
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. Sunkist orange zest*
- 1 tsp. finely minced fresh rosemary (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make the cake: Prepare a 12-cup Bundt cake pan (pan spray and flour) and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer or other large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, spices, orange zest and juice, eggs, oil and vanilla extract. With a paddle attachment (or whisk if doing by hand), mix on medium speed until well-combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed with a spatula.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 – 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick/cake tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then, turn cake out onto a rack to cool thoroughly. Store cake covered at room temperature.
- To make the glazed oranges: With a sharp knife, cut a thin slice off the ends of each orange. Cut the rind off the orange all the way around, using downward cutting motions. Repeat with the remaining oranges. After you have cut away all the rind and white pith from the oranges, cut them into 1/4-inch slices and flick out any seeds. Place the orange slices in a large, shallow glass baking dish and sprinkle with the orange liqueur.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the sugar, water and vanilla extract. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil for one minute. Let cool, then pour the syrup over the sliced oranges. Cover the oranges with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to one day, to marinate.
- To make the whipped cream: Place the cream and granulated sugar in a medium bowl, whip with a whisk until peaked. Slowly fold in the Greek yogurt, orange zest and chopped rosemary. Refrigerate until ready to serve with the cake.
- Serve slices of cake topped with Sunkist glazed oranges and dollops of Greek yogurt whip.
- *To make orange zest: Zest is the outer peel of the fruit with no white pith attached. You can make fine zest with a zesting tool, microplainer or fine grater.
Makes about 12 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Sunkist