Spicy Udon Stir-Fry with Steak and Brussels Sprouts
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 4 tablespoon grapeseed or canola oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 rib steak, boneless (400 grams or larger), sliced paper thin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 100 g shitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced
- 100g oyster mushrooms, torn
- 300 g Brussels sprouts, trimmed, quartered lengthwise
- 2 tablespoon water
- 600 g udon noodles (in vacuum packs)
- ¼ Cup chicken stock (or water, but stock is preferred)
- 3 tablespoon gochujang
- 3 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- green onion, sliced, to garnish
WHAT YOU DO:
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and the onion. Cook 1 minute, stirring often, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the sliced steak, season with salt, and cook 2 minutes. Transfer all pan contents to a plate, set aside for now.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the oil to the pan and add the mushrooms, Brussels sprouts, and the 2 tablespoons of water. Cook, covered, for 3 minutes, stirring often. If the pan becomes too dry simply add an additional tablespoon or two of water. Remove all to the plate with the steak.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and add the udon noodles. Sauté until softened and pliable, using tongs to help move them around. Meanwhile, measure the water, gochujang, tamari, and mirin in a measuring cup and stir well to combine. Pour the liquid into the pan with the noodles, add the mushrooms and other ingredients, and toss altogether to incorporate. Sauté a few minutes until hot and incorporated. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with green onion, and serve immediately.