Swedish cheesecake with mango and lime
Swedish cheesecake is my kind of dessert: it’s comforting, but not too sweet, and can be made in a jiffy. Rather than the cream cheese typically used in North American cheesecake, the Swedish version uses cottage cheese (and traditionally homemade cottage cheese to boot) and has a less uniform texture because of the little cheese curds. I tried making it that way but found that I preferred a smoother texture, which is all the better because it meant that my recipe would be even simpler to replicate as it’s entirely made using a blender (Yes, I can hear your cheers from here). Is there anything better than a recipe that’s decadent AND comes together in just a few minutes? I didn’t think so. You can flavour this cake with anything you like: any citrus zest or flavour extract, a swirl of jam, you name it. Just be sure to keep this recipe in your back pocket because it’s the perfect thing to whip up for a dinner party, or to keep in your fridge if you tend to have visitors pop in. You’re welcome!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 eggs, large
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cup 4% cottage cheese, “creamed” if possible (1 x 500g tub)
- 1 cup half and half cream
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ lime, zest only
- 2 Ataulfo mangoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- juice, from above zested lime
- 1 tsp honey
- water, if needed for desired consistency (up to 1 Tbsp)
WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat oven to 325° Butter an 8-inch round cake pan – but if I’m being perfectly honest here, I don’t see why an 8-inch square pan would be an issue, so you do you.
- To a blender add eggs and sugar and blend on medium for 1 minute. Add cheese, cream, extracts, and salt and blend 10 seconds until smooth. Add flour and blend 5 seconds more to incorporate. Stir in lime zest and pour into prepared pan. Bake on the centre rack 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool in pan to room temperature. Use a butter knife or small offset spatula to loosen cake from the sides of the pan before inverting and transferring right-side-up to a serving dish. Refrigerate until serving.
- For the mango puree, add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until needed for garnishing slices of the cheesecake.