The most interesting man in the world has apparently lost our interest.
Dos Equis has decided to retire Jonathan Goldsmith, the actor who played the iconic character for the past nine years in a series of wildly-popular beer commercials. To seal the deal and make it official, the company even launched a new TV spot showing the most interesting man being blasted off on a one-way trip to Mars (we didn’t exactly see that coming).
CTV News reports that the move is part of an effort to attract new customers, and keep the commercials fresh. But don’t worry, Dos Equis has already chosen a new “Most Interesting Man in the World,” although they aren’t revealing who he is just yet.
Goldsmith certainly leaves behind a positive legacy for the brand though: beer sales tripled during the time the commercials were aired.
As our very own personal tribute, here are the best lines we’ve heard in his commercials:
- “His personality is so magnetic, he is unable to carry credit cards.”
- “He never says something tastes like chicken–not even chicken.”
- “He can speak French, in Russian.”
- “His charm is so contagious, vaccines have been created for it.”
- “Alien doctors have asked him to probe them.”
To see Goldsmith’s last commercial, check out the video above.
And stay thirsty, my friends.