In today’s edition of ‘This would never happen to men,’ sources close to the royals say that Kensington Palace is very concerned about the amount of hateful comments online directed at Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton. According to Hello! Magazine, the palace staff spend “a lot of hours” trying to remove negative comments about the Duchesses, with online abuse ranging from criticizing the way the women look to threats of violence. People, stop being the worst.
“The Palace has always monitored comments, but it’s a hugely time consuming thing,” an insider told Hello!. “They can block certain words, but some of it is quite serious. Over the course of last year, with hundreds of thousands of comments, there were two or three that were violent threats. You can delete and report and block people and the police have options around particular people. It’s something you have to manage because there’s no other way to control it.”
According to the mag, many of the comments appear to stem from a rivalry that’s been created in the media between the sisters-in-law, much like the one between their husbands, Prince William and Prince Harry. Oh wait, that doesn’t exist.
“It follows a Kate vs Meghan narrative and some of the worst stuff is between Kate fans and Meghan fans,” a source told Hello!. “Arguments about who looks more appropriate, for example, that turn into personal attacks on other users. It’s creating a supercharged atmosphere and everyone can join in, but what are the consequences of this?”
Hello! Magazine, one of the biggest media outlets that reports on the royals, has been forced to turn off the comments section for their news stories on the Duchess of Cambridge and the Duchess of Sussex, revealing that some stories about the royals required the magazine to delete more than 500 comments made by users attacking the royals and other commenters. The magazine has even launched the #HelloToKindness campaign in hopes of combating some of the negative comments made on their website.
Hello! Magazine’s royal corresponded Kate Nash filmed a Twitter video announcing the campaign on January 28, urging followers to ask themselves three things before posting something online, saying “Is it helpful, is it kind, and would you say it in real life?”
Of course, there will still be naysayers that criticize the women for marrying into the Royal Family and ‘signing up’ for this kind of attention. To that, we call BS. Willingly accepting a life that will be under the scrutiny of the public eye? Sure, they knew that was part of saying ‘I do.’ Being subjected to a seemingly never-ending stream of criticism, sexism, hateful and violent threats? Unacceptable.
DEEP BREATH: We made a video about something that is getting us down and we’re hoping you can help make it better:
Please watch, share, get in touch, post your own message and say #hellotokindness #nospaceforhate @hellomag pic.twitter.com/jWU6L2NfbH
— Emily Nash (@emynash) January 28, 2019