We all thought scrunchies were the worst things to put around our wrist (’cause fashion, y’know) but this actually tops it — and will have you rethinking wearing any type of hair elastic like a bracelet. Because while it’s convenient, it can also be deadly. Really. In a report from WLKY, a woman shared her story of how a seemingly innocent little hair tie landed her in the hospital.
Audree Kopp was moving into a new home when she noticed a lump on her arm. She thought it was a spider bite, which was unpleasant, but she didn’t think more of it. But as time went on the bump was still there and even after getting antibiotics from her doctor, “it just kept getting bigger, and redder, and worse.”
Luckily for Kopp, Dr. Amit Gupta recognized that the woman was in danger of developing sepsis, and ended up performing emergency surgery. Before it could get any worse (now, feel free not to read the next sentence, but come back for the one after), he cut open the bump and drained all the fluid from it. And it turned out the bump wasn’t from a spider at all. The culprit? A sparkly hair elastic.
According to Gupta, bacteria gathered in the hair tie, and it rubbed on her skin and into her hair follicles and boom. Infected.
We really, no REALLY don’t want to show you photos of Kopp’s wrist and what could happen to you but if you must see, watch the clip on WLKY, or Buzzfeed‘s got them in all their gross glory. But consider yourselves warned.
If you’d prefer your wrists bump-free, Dr. Gupta recommends wearing plastic no-slip hair ties — or none at all. And after seeing Kopp’s arm after surgery (please, we know you went to look at the pics), going completely hair tie-free isn’t a bad idea. Banana clips, anyone? Or maybe a scrunchie isn’t so bad, after all.
WATCH: Grab a plastic hair tie, then get ready for the perfect pony