The boob tube has long been a source of fashion inspiration. Be it for a job interview, costume party, or just to kick up our everyday look a notch, our favourite characters have been dishing out sound style advice for years—showing, rather than telling.
That’s why we’ve taken it upon ourselves to ranked the very best wardrobe styling to ever grace the television screen. We looked at shows past (yes, of course, Sex and the City made our list) and present (shout out to Broad City) for the impressive ensembles worn by their cast.
These 25 TV shows have the best wardrobe styling ever
25. Modern Family (2009-present)The Style: It’s basic, but consistent, and therefore on the list. The girl/guy next door if you live in a super fun and stylish neighbourhood. Something for everyone.
The Stunner: Gloria Delgado-Prichett (Sofia Vergara) is always wearing something bold, curve-hugging and gorgeous. ABC
24. Vikings (2013-present)The Style: Well… vikingy, and the only such example on the list. Long braids, formidable battle gear and cloaks.
The Stunner: Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick) is a shield maiden who can dress like a queen or a warrior and looks badass both ways. History
23. The Mindy Project (2012-present)The Style: This is on the list because it provides consistent, happy style inspo. Like seeing a rainbow. Bold, cute and wearable.
The Stunner: Mindy Lahiri (Mindy Kaling) always looks like a ray of sunshine, her style is oh so playful. Hulu
22. Glee (2009-2015)The Style: Way more fun than we were in high school. Bright colours. Exciting and personal.
The Stunner: Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) dresses super preppy, and seeing how she modifies her look over the years but still stays true to herself is darn inspirational. FOX
21. House of Cards (2013-present)The Style: The politics of fashion. Crisp and clean. Demands respect, but doesn't make the wearer look too unapproachable. Belongs in the 20s...
The Stunner: Claire Underwood (Robin Wright) is quietly commanding in minimalist dresses any woman would love to have. Netflix
- Broad City (2014 -present)" />
20. Broad City (2014 -present)The Style: Modern street style, but these girls are super creative even in their casual wear. It’s less practical, but earns points for audacity.
The Stunner: Ilana Wexler (Ilana Glazer) has a New York hip hop style that's all her own. Who else would even think to wear a sweater meant for a dog?
Watch Broad CityComedy Central
19. The Royals (2015-present)The Style: We wish we could dress like this all the time! If the monarchy went through a rebellious phase. Either tight but still classy, or purposefully scandalous.
The Stunner: Princess Eleanor (Alexandra Park) is an actual punk princess and every time she tries to push buttons and express herself through her clothes, it's a joy to watch.
Watch The RoyalsE!
18. Once Upon a Time (2011-present)The Style: Super stylish real world wear or super stylish fantasy wear. Win win.
The Stunner: Mary Margaret Blanchard (Ginnifer Goodwin) wears cute pea coats in the normal universe and gorgeous gowns or badass battle gear in the fantasy one.
Watch Once Upon a TimeABC
17. Game of Thrones (2011-present)The Style: That’s right, GOT on a style list! Their sleeveless medieval dresses are legit...as are the characters.
The Stunner: Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) is the Mother of Dragons and the queen of fashion. She wears the most beautiful gowns in varying shades of blue.
Watch Game of ThronesHBO
16. Empire (2015-present)The Style:Wearing only the freshest threads, the Lyon family looks like they live in a music video (which they kind of do).
The Stunner: Cookie Lyon (Taraji P. Henson) wears clothes as over the top as she is. Talk about commanding a room. FOX
15. Girls (2012-present)The Style: Some episodes we want to rank this number one, and other times we don’t want to rank it at all. The style could be whimsical, preppy, trendy, bold or all of the above.
The Stunner: Jessa Johansson (Jemima Kirke) is a free spirit whose style is a mash up of pieces she collected along her travels.
14. Pretty Little Liars (2010-present)The Style: Unrealistically amazing for high school students. Each character has their own style and is better dressed than most adults.
The Stunner: Aria Montgomery (Lucy Hale) is the fashion risk-taker of the group who fearlessly mixes patterns and always looks fierce.
Watch Pretty Little LiarsFreeform
13. Scandal (2012-present)The Style: Business shark. Like House of Cards but eight spots better. Intimidating yet effortlessly chic. Workwear goals times ten.
The Stunner: No matter what crises Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) is attempting to defuse, she always looks flawless and professional. Consider it handled. ABC
12. Outlander (2014-present)The Style: It’s set in 1743, so can hardly be top 10. Still, those gowns and corsets are on fleek. Utterly romantic.
The Stunner: Claire Randall (Catriona Balfe) is drop dead dead gorgeous no matter what era she's in. That red dress was so jaw-dropping, we're still not over it.Starz
11. Penny Dreadful (2014-present)The Style: For many people, this is the only kind of look. All black everything. Lace and high necklines.
The Stunner: Vanessa Ives (Eva Green) in a sumptuous Victorian gown is as captivating as the supernatural creatures she encounters. Showtime
10. Boardwalk Empire (2010-2014)The Style: At #10, the prohibition era series that inspired a billion men’s haircuts. Suave and lethal. Pocket watches and pinstripes.
The Stunner: Margaret Thompson (Kelly Macdonald) always looks divine in dresses with large lapels and embroidered hats.
Watch Boardwalk EmpireHBO
9. Gossip Girl (2007-2012)The Style: Our highschool selves rank this higher, but here it is...The kids were stylish city slickers with bottomless pockets who dressed to be seen, and boy did we love watching.
The Stunner: Serena van der Woodsen (Blake Lively) was the It girl, and her effortlessly cool outfits always made us jealous. The CW
8.Reign (2013-present)The Style: Medieval glamour with a modern high-fashion twist that reflects each character's personality.
The Stunner: Mary Queen of Scots (Adelaide Kaine) is the princess we all wanted to dress like as kids, or rather, after she got hold of the king's credit card and the latest issue of Vogue. The CW
7. Scream Queens (2015-present)The Style: Pastels, mixed fabrics and lots of fur (faux of course). So sweet you'll get a cavity.
The Stunner: Chanel Oberlin (Emma Roberts) channels her inner Jackie Kennedy in looks that are over-the-top posh. FOX
6. Absolutely Fabulous (1992-2012)The Style: Everything in excess. Huge jackets. Scarves. Every pattern and colour under the sun—as long as it's designer.
The Stunner: Edina Monsoon (Jennifer Saunders) is brash, in your face and unforgettable, and the same can be said of her style.
Watch Absolutely Fabulous BBC
5. Downton Abbey (2010-2015)The Style: The style evolution of the early 1900s, from the Belle Epoch to the Roaring Twenties.
The Stunner: With such a massive cast, it's hard to pick just one, but Lady Mary Crawley (Michelle Dockery) is always dressed to the nines in looks with amazing embroidery and lacy details. PBS
4. Sex and the City (1998-2004)The Style: Trend setting and iconic, and usually in the top five on any list. Each character's style is way more glam than these girls should be able to afford.
The Stunner: If there was one fictional wardrobe we could raid, it would be that of Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker), the sartorial visionary.
Watch Sex and the CityHBO
3. Mad Men (2007-2015)The Style:Mad Men delivered style inspo from the '50s and '60s for 7 seasons, ushering in a second coming of skinny ties and cinched waists and full skirts that give way to mini dresses.
The Stunner: Joan Harris (Christina Hendricks) is the literal definition of bombshell. Va va voom! AMC
2. Schitt's Creek (2015-present)The Style: Schitt’s creek reminds us to always be overdressed. Pure fashion fun. Always expensive. Unapologetically extravagant.
The Stunner: Matriarch Moira Rose (Catherine O'Hara) is the most flamboyant of the bunch and accessorizes like the brooch industry depends entirely on her, which it might. CBC
1. The Get Down (2016-present)The Style: Number one with a bullet for the pure 70s street style, which we’re absolutely into this season. Bell bottoms. Huge collars. Lots of colour.
The Stunner: Mylene Cruz (Herizen F. Guardiola) is an aspiring disco singer who goes from polo shirts and skirts to a liquid gold dress, and we can dig it. Netflix