If you love Hawaiian pizza, you’re going to love this pasta. You don’t love Hawaiian pizza? You still might love this pasta! The fragrant pineapple and basil instantly transports you to a tropical island, which is never a bad thing, but better than the incredible mix of flavours is the fact that the pasta cooks right in the sauce which means that this meal comes together before you finish your first mojito.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 pound ham, cooked and diced
- 1 pound rigatoni or similar pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz.) jar tomato sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella, grated
- 1 (8 oz.) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/4 -1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
WHAT YOU DO
- Drizzle olive oil in a large skillet or pot with a lid. Add ham and brown over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, garlic, oregano, onion powder, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to the skillet and mix together.
- Stir in pasta and bring to a boil, then cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- Stir in pineapple and mozzarella. Turn off burner and let stand covered, about 5 minutes, until pineapple is warm and cheese is melted.
- Fold in fresh basil, and serve immediately!
Recipe adapted from Taste and Tell