Are you familiar with the KonMari school of thought? Well, it’s a Japanese approach to de-cluttering from expert Marie Kondo, and it requires a fairly strict adherence to the rules. First of all, you don’t just start chucking things in the garbage to make your spaces tidier. You are required to pick up each item and deduce whether each piece brings you some kind of joy.
And when you are de-cluttering your life, the method advises against doing it room-by-room. De-cluttering should, as the method goes, be done thematically, working through specific items. For example, all of your documents first, or all of your clothes first. The reason for this is that items occur in every room of your house, so it’s best to get them all together from the get-go.
Lastly, to stow, do not use stacking organizational tools, as Kondo says these enable hoarding. You should be able to take and put away things with minimal to no effort.
The video above showcases the folding technique she employs, which we love for its efficiency. Seriously, it’ll keep your closet very organized. While you’ll learn to fold a shirt in the video, the handy GIFs below will take care of the rest:
Folding your jeans
- Make sure your jeans are flat in front of you.
- Fold the left leg over the right.
- Next, fold in the crotch.
- Fold the bottom half over, toward the waist – you’ll want to leave an inch of space.
- Fold inward until jeans stand upright.
Folding your socks
- Lay yours socks flat as a pair, with one on top of the other.
- Fold the toe inward, leaving about an inch at the top.
- Fold in again to the center.
- Fold in half so it stands upright.
Folding your sweater
- Lay sweater flat in front of you with the sleeves spread out.
- Fold the right side with the sleeve straight, all the way out.
- Fold the sleeve over the other way and down so it creates a triangle.
- Repeat these steps on the left side, and you’ll be left with a rectangle.
- From the top, fold inward until it stands upright.
Folding Your Underwear
- Lay underwear flat in front of you.
- Fold them in half lengthwise, from crotch to waistband.
- Fold in each side, until it looks like a pocket-sized pastry.
- Fold over crotch again for it to stand upright.
GIFs credit: GOOP