Deciding between a burger and a pizza isn’t easy, and now you don’t have to! Say hello to pizza buns.
Chef Paul Lillakas demonstrates how to make them in the video clip above, and check out his recipe before for a six-ingredient Umami burger.
Pizza Bun Umami Burgers
Hands on time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 burgers
Tip: If you’re not a fan of anchovies, feel free to substitute white miso paste for that hit of umami flavour!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 4 (brioche) burger buns, halved
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1.5 lbs medium ground beef
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp anchovy paste
- 1 tbsp good quality tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Sliced Onion
- Spring Mix
- Garlic Mayonnaise
WHAT YOU DO:
- In bowl, combine ground beef, Dijon mustard, anchovy, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Mix just until combined. Form into 4 equal patties.
- Place patties onto greased grill over medium-high heat. Cook, flipping once, until desired doneness. About 10 minutes for well done.
- Set oven to broil; arrange rack in middle. On parchment-lined baking sheet, arrange pre-sliced burger buns (tops and bottoms together) a few inches apart. Top each bun with 1/2 tbsp of tomato sauce and 1 tbsp cheddar, pushing fallen cheese toward edges of buns. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 1-2 minutes.
- Assemble burgers with desired toppings.