Sharks, they’re very scary creatures. Thankfully, this green one won’t eat your party guests, it’ll just wow them. Feast your eyes on the watermelon shark — complete with fruit salad of course. Super impressive AND super easy/fun to do; it makes for a great centrepiece and topic of discussion. Plus, with Shark Week coming up (August 10-16), you’ll definitely want this shark in your home.
Here’s what you’re going to need:
- bowl full of your favourite fruits
- two blueberries
- some candies (optional)
- sharp knife
- small pairing knife
Let’s get started, shall we?
- Place the watermelon flat side down.
- Pick one side and cut the watermelon at a 45-degree angle all the way through, saving the smaller piece aside for later. Rotate the watermelon so the freshly-cut side is now your base.
- Using the pairing knife, score the opposite end of the watermelon in a half-moon shape to create a guide for the mouth.
- With the knife, cut the moon-shaped piece out. Don’t forget to save that little slice for later!
- The hole on your watermelon is now the mouth of your shark. With the paring knife, carefully cut away just the green part of the rind, making sure to leave the white flesh intact.
- OK, it’s time to hollow out your watermelon. Remove all of the watermelon flesh using a melon baller or a metal spoon, saving all of that juicy fruit for later.
- Teeth time! Starting in the middle of the mouth, cut out little triangles, working around both the top and bottom of the mouth.
- Take the piece of rind you put aside earlier and cut it in half. Keeping it round and remove the pink flesh. This is now the shark’s fin.
- Using a few toothpicks, attach the fin to the top of the watermelon.
- Eye time! Using the pairing knife, create holes for the eyes by removing the green rind of the watermelon. Take two blueberries, placing each one on to a toothpick and stick it into each eye hole.
- Place your shark on a platter and fill it up with all of your fruit and candies (for garnish).
That’s it! You’re watermelon shark is ready to wreak havoc on all of your party guests.