Holiday party season has arrived, which is the perfect time of year to try something new with your hair. Hair stylist Janet Jackson shows how simple changes to some of your favourite hairstyles can make a big impact at your next holiday party.
LOOK 1: DEEP SIDE PART WITH TEXTURE
- Use peak of your brow for reference and for an even more “dramatic” deeper part, use the edge of your brow. Part should be straight and should stop at the back of your ear. Use styling/smoothing balm to set part, keeping the hair over your ear tight and smooth for a modern look.
- Part and wrap hair sections (away from your face) around the flat iron, as you would a curling iron or wand. Pull the hair through the heated plates. Close flat iron (not too tight) and then slide. Twist and pull the curl.
- Once everything is curled, let it sit and cool down for a few minutes. Run your fingers through your hair OR shake it out to break up curls.
- Spray texture spray at roots for volume and texture. Finish with hairspray. Spray and scrunch the curls. A hair accessory on either side works!
LOOK 2: METALLIC BRAIDED TOPKNOT
First of all, the topknot and the ponytail are both so timeless, so you really can’t go wrong. This is also an easy style to do on your own and will make your look a little more glam than usual, which is what you want for a holiday party. Simply effortless and modern.
- Before pulling your hair in a ponytail, part out a thin section around your face from ear to ear, maybe an inch or two in diameter. Clip this area away.
- Next, pull the remainder of your hair into a ponytail. For this look, if you cannot braid, you can 2-strand twist the ends for a similar look, incorporating a thread or ribbon.
- Spray the area in front that you clipped away with a texturizing spray, and then add large ringlets. Let the ringlets cool down (5 mins) then brush them out.
- Once the ringlets are brushed out, strategically pull them back into your ponytail and pin them down. This step allows the ponytail to look more “runway” – soft, effortless and chic.
- Now wrap your braid or twist around your base for the desired shape. Remember that there’s no right or wrong way to do this!
LOOK 3: NATURAL HAIR UPDO
- Part/section a large “U” part at the crown of your head.
- Use edge tamer or non-alcohol gel to sick back and sides; use a soft bristle brush for this step.
- Twist back upwards into one giant twist. Then anchor the twist with bobby pins.
- Pull hair in crown in the direction of your choice. Add hair pins to secure.
- Add hair accessories or bobby pins to sides to glam up this look!