What if cooking fish in your home could make it smell divine? Not everyone loves that cooked fish stench, but add grapefruit, lemon, fennel, jalapeno, basil and cilantro to the mix and dammmmmmn do you have yourself a mighty fine smelling (and tasting) dish. You can thank celebrity chef Lynn Crawford for this fish of the day, which you’ll serve to your family whenever salmon goes on sale! Ready to make it? Here you go:
Roast Salmon with Florida Grapefruit, Quinoa Salad
What you need
- 1 Florida ruby red grapefruit, halved and sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Half a fresh fennel, thinly sliced 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 6 centre cut skinless salmon fillets
- Sesame Brittle, optional (see tip)
- 1 Florida ruby red grapefruit, scrubbed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 8 thin slices fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) grapefruit juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) liquid honey
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby arugula
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh cilantro leaves
How it’s made
- Spread grapefruit, lemon, fennel, jalapeno, basil and cilantro onto parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Top with fillets and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in preheated 275 F (135 C) until tip of knife inserted in salmon slides easily through and fillet is slightly opaque, about 20 minutes.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove outer peel from grapefruit and place in small saucepan.
- Remove outer pith and cut segments from grapefruit; set aside.
- Add oil and ginger to saucepan.
- Warm over medium heat until oil starts to bubble, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes. Strain and reserve oil.
- Combine quinoa, water and salt in saucepan and bring to boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cook, uncovered for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork into a large bowl.
- Whisk together grapefruit juice, vinegar, honey and 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the reserved oil.
- Add to quinoa and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in arugula, carrots, onions, jalapeno and cilantro.
- Fold in reserved grapefruit segments; set aside.