Life Home
  • Facebook
    Facebook
  • Twitter
    Twitter
  • Pinterest
    Pinterest
  • +
  • Linkedin
    Linkedin
  • WhatsApp
    WhatsApp
  • Email
    Email
SHARE THIS
  • Facebook
    Facebook
  • Twitter
    Twitter
  • Pinterest
    Pinterest
  • Linkedin
    Linkedin
  • WhatsApp
    WhatsApp
  • Email
    Email

It turns out that those pretty little laundry detergent pods you’ve grown to love are actually extremely dangerous. At least, if you have kids living in your home.

Despite the fact that studies have already found detergent pods pose a risk to children, new research published in the journal Pediatrics found they’ve been getting poisoned by the products even more than before. Children’s exposure to the pods actually grew 17 per cent from 2013 to 2014. Meaning that in one year alone, 62,000 children were reported to poison control centres as a result of ingesting detergent pods. While these numbers are U.S.-based, they still offer a stark warning to parents north of the border.

The reason so many kids are eating these pods is because they look very similar to candy. But if ingested, the effects will be much more severe than a sugar rush. Hospitals have seen all kinds of injuries, from throat and lung burns, to nervous system damage, to death.

The problem is actually becoming so severe, that the Nationwide Children’s Hospital, which commissioned the study, is calling for a ban on laundry detergent pods in homes with kids.

For more information about the risks of these cleaning products, check out the video above.