Beauty rules are meant to be broken!
Beauty rules are meant to be broken! Makeup artist Victoria Radford highlights some of her favourite makeup pairings that are anything but basic.
THE PAIRING: RED LIP + PINK LIDS
Red and pink in combination is having major moment in both the beauty AND fashion worlds this season and pink on the eye is a great way to play up “natural”, but with pop.
When it comes to choosing your red lip colour, remember that there are essentially two types of red: cool and warm. If you want to keep things as simple as possible, then match your skin tone to your lip colour, so use a cool red lip shade if you have a cool skin tone and a warm red lip shade if you have a warm skin tone.
- The Make Up Forever Star Lit Powders are great because the finish is extra shiny, giving the illusion of gloss without the fuss.
- Start with the lighter colour and apply not only on the eye, but also as a highlighter on the cheekbones and even a touch on the Cupid’s bow so the lip pops too!
- Then take the deeper colour and shade over the lid for a little depth. You can also just keep the deeper color around the lash line for a candlelit glow.
- Use a LOT of mascara with a red lip because it will balance out the entire look.
THE PAIRING: BRIGHT ORANGE LIP + BLUE LINER
The concept of fresh skin and pops of colour is huge right now, and one of Victoria’s all-time favorite pairings is orange on the lips and blue on the eyes. They are complementary colours on the color wheel and are a gorgeous application on any skin tone.
- Keep the top of the eye nice and neutral. I also use a face illuminizer to prime the lids, but you can also keep them matte; it’s all about personal preference.
- Because we are popping the waterline, it’s very important to use a waterproof liner that will stay in place. The Chanel Long-Lasting Eyeliner in Fervent Blue is great because it goes on very light and is super buildable.
- Start in the waterline, gently going back and forth, working your way down. You can be as subtle as you like, even to the point where the liner is barely detectable, but still brightens the eyes or you can do a full “panda” eye, but keep the weight of the colour on the outer corner to lift the eyes.
THE PAIRING: NUDE LIP + BURGUNDY SMOKE
Almost everyone has a nude lip colour in their makeup bag, but a lot of us are often concerned with looking washed out. To avoid that, you want to play up the eyes and cheeks and that’s where the classic smoky eye comes in, but there are so many beautiful takes on the classic to try that can really make an unexpected statement.
- Colour is so big right now and we’re really into anything that looks burnt and flushed like STILA Shimmer & Glow Liquid Eye Shadows. It gives the skin a very healthy look and brightens eye colours making blue eyes glow and brown, hazel or green eyes look greener as red and green are also complementary colours. And bonus – no primer needed with these shadows because they’re super waterproof.
- Start with the darker colour all over the lid and under the eye. Next, trace the lighter colour over top to give a glowing diffused look.
- You can do lashes with this look or just tons of mascara on your natural lashes.