In your 20s it was all pitchers, shooters and chasers, and if you can remember those days, you’re lucky. But after a certain age — 35, generously — the adult body doesn’t process hangovers like it once could, never mind that 2 p.m. poutine “breakfasts” just don’t jive with a grown-up schedule.
If that sounds familiar, congratulations: you’ve reached your spritzer years. Leave the excess to the Millennials and celebrate delicious refreshment and moderate alcohol intake like the grownass lady or gentleman you are: with a spritzer.
The spritzer basics
• Choose your favourite cheap and cheerful white wine or rosé. Since you’ll be diluting it, there’s no need for a fancy bottle.
• Start with very cold wine (chill it in the freezer, even) and cold sparkling water. A handful of frozen raspberries or blackberries in your glass will chill your drink without diluting it.
• The recipe below is a guideline, but spritzers are most forgiving. For extra libation, add more wine; for extra hydration, add more sparkling water.
• Have a firm preference for a certain brand of sparkling water? Then choose that brand. Prefer to drink flavoured sparkling waters? Then choose a flavoured sparkling water. Remember, you’re a grownup; you can do what you want.
The simple spritzer
3 oz white wine or rosé
3 oz sparkling water
Add one or two of the following:
• Slices of citrus fruit or cucumber
• A tablespoon puréed fresh berries or peaches
• A sprig of mint or rosemary
• A splash of bitters
• A dash of herby or floral simple syrup, like rosemary, lavender or elderflower
• A splash of cranberry juice or lemonade
Now raise your spritzer high and give yourself a toast — you’ve made it!