Health Wellness
  • Facebook
    Facebook
  • Twitter
    Twitter
  • Pinterest
    Pinterest
  • +
  • Linkedin
    Linkedin
  • WhatsApp
    WhatsApp
  • Email
    Email
SHARE THIS
  • Facebook
    Facebook
  • Twitter
    Twitter
  • Pinterest
    Pinterest
  • Linkedin
    Linkedin
  • WhatsApp
    WhatsApp
  • Email
    Email

Ontario healthcare isn’t perfect. Don’t get us wrong, we’re a huge fan of free Canadian healthcare, but there’s always room for improvement, right? Women’s College Hospital (WCH) recently did a follow up survey to the initial A Thousand Voices for Women’s Health report from 2010 (and yes, 1,000 Ontario women were in fact surveyed) and according to the new report, women still are’t completely satisfied with Ontario healthcare.

In the initial 2010 report, WCH discoverd that “women want an approach to care that focuses on all aspects of their lives, that focuses on prevention and enables them to be the drivers of their own health and that gives them the option of being treated at home rather than being in [the] hospital.” The hospital created an ambulatory care unit in response to the feedback, which is where patients can be released in 24 hours and recover in their own homes. Perfect for those who want to control their own health–not to mention for anyone who hates hospitals.

After surveying and talking to women years later, WCH learnt that Ontario healthcare still isn’t quite perfect…yet.

First off, only 75 per cent of women felt that their healthcare organizations were respectful and non-judgmental, which isn’t bad. But 75 per cent means that our healthcare is only really average, not amazing. And we like to go above and beyond here in Canada.  If 25 per cent of the women surveyed feel that Ontario healthcare isn’t respectful, there are definitely a few kinks in our healthcare system we still need to work out. Even worse, only 61 per cent of the women surveyed feel that their healthcare organizations actually recognize and respect their needs. So what about the other 39 per cent?

“You go to the doctor and get a prescription,” said one woman in the video. There’s no sympathy, no guidance, no helpful recommended resources; there’s just medication.

We’re not saying that Ontario healthcare is bad, because, honestly, it does the job. But, as the women in the video repeatedly suggest: we’re not being completely respected. Watch the video above to hear more about women’s thoughts on Ontario healthcare.