Summer is right around the corner and you may be thinking about your next family vacation. We’ve got one option that may not be on your radar — a river cruise.
Terrilyn Kunopaski, editor-in-chief of Canadian Traveller, stopped by to help you decide if a river cruise is right for your family.
WHY CHOOSE A RIVER CRUISE?
- The ease of travel. There is no other way to see multiple destinations in one trip, with the ever-so-wonderful perk of only having to unpack once.
- Whether you’re looking for special tours for LGBTQ travellers, single travellers, beer lovers, history lovers — there’s a river cruise for everyone!
THE TOP DESTINATIONS
- There are amazing opportunities to see unique destinations along the Mekong in Asia, along the Nile, along the Amazon and more.
- You can take a river cruise along the Rhone, from Switzerland to Southern France, with Scenic cruise line that allows you to either do a walking tour or a cycling tour of Vienne.
- The Tauck cruise line offers four river cruises (on the Danube, Rhine, Rhone and Seine) designed specifically for family groups, featuring special activities, ranging from a hands-on pizza-making class to a scavenger hunt in the Louvre.
- AmaWaterways offers a seven-night cruise which sails from Budapest to Giurgiu on the Danube, from Bulgaria-Croatia-Hungary-Romania-Serbia.
THE TOP EXCURSIONS
- U by Uniworld, the newest river cruise line in Europe, offers itineraries that focus on longer stays in destination. Travellers who want to go out and explore a town or city in the evening can do so – do a city tour at dusk, find a local restaurant and then make your way to a bar or a club.
- Visits to local vineyards are quite common, especially in France and Germany. Viking River Cruises offers one tour that lets guests see Bordeaux’s fountains and cellars and hunt for truffles in Périgord before having a homecooked meal made with the fungi. They also get to create their own blend of Cognac at the Camus distillery.
HOW TO BOOK A RIVER CRUISE
- Not sure what river cruise line would best suit your taste? Find a travel advisor who specializes in cruising and who has tested a lot of the product, so he or she knows the right questions to ask, and therefore qualify you properly to match with the ideal experience.