Travel agents encounter all kinds of people in their line of work and have to deal with travellers from around the world on a daily basis. It’s not always easy.
It seems that some of the most difficult and demanding travellers are Americans, and boy, do they have some strange questions and requests.
The American Society of Travel Agents has released its annual Top 10 list of the most bizarre interactions they’ve had with people in the past year. Infidelity and just plain obliviousness seem to be the order of the day:
1. “Can I fish off of the cruise ship?”
How long is your fishing line? Don’t be daft.
2. “Do they speak English in Britain?”
3. “Can you please book the honeymoon suite for us and another couple?”
There’s nothing wrong with swinging, per se, but it might not be the best idea to involve the travel agent in your personal sexual proclivities.
4. “Can you please plan a honeymoon for me, my bride and my mother?
Um. Something tells us this honeymoon is going to be a disaster, mama’s boy.
5. “Can you guarantee that no pet has ever been in the hotel room?”
Travel agents can’t go back in time and guarantee ridiculous requests like these. Time travel agents, now they can help you out.
6. “Is our relationship like a client/lawyer relationship?”
That’s a no.
7. “Can you book two rooms in different parts of the resort — one for me and my wife, and the other for my girlfriend?”
See, if we were the travel agent on the receiving end of this question, we’d be tempted to set it up so the three of you had no choice but to run into each other. Hey, travel agents need to have fun, too.
8. “Does the crew actually sleep on board the cruise ship?”
Do you really think they get on and off every single day? That would be the worst cruise ever.
9. “Don’t tell my fiancée this is where I took my first wife for our honeymoon.”
A.k.a. the worst future husband ever.
10. “I would like to go somewhere where there are NOT a lot of men.”
Okay, we kind of get this one. Some men can be irritating on vacation.