Everyone enjoys a steaming hot baked potato on a cool fall day, but honestly, who wants to wait the 24 hours it takes (oh, it’s only an hour? Well it feels like 24) to bake it in the oven? Speed up the cooking process by popping it into the microwave, then top with your favourite seasoning.
What you need
- Russet, Idaho or Yukon gold potato (thicker-skinned varieties work best)
- your favourite toppings such butter, sour cream, chives, shredded cheese and bacon bits (mmm!)
What you do
- Wash the potato thoroughly using a bristled scrub brush, making sure not to scrub the skin away. Dry thoroughly with a paper towel.
- Prick the potato with a fork. This will allow for the steam to enter the potato and cook it.
- Set potato in a microwave-safe dish, and place in microwave for 5 minutes.
- Carefully turn the potato over and microwave for an additional 5 minutes. Are you hungry yet?
- Once finished, removed from microwave, allow to cool slightly and cut in half.
- Season your potato with salt, pepper and any toppings of your choice, such as shredded cheesed, butter and bacon bits.
- If desired, place in microwave for an additional minute to melt any toppings.
- Remove from microwave and enjoy!